Thursday, September 16, 2010

True Blood--Season 3 Finale

I talked a bit about gaming--now here is some geek for the guide gumbo.  I am a truebie.  It's an awesome show.  I've read the books and I can't stop watching the show.  This past Sunday was the finale.  I know that finales are supposed to tie up some loose ends and open up some new conflicts.  This is the same with every show.  It seemed that every character had something going on with them.

First off, season 3 is the lovechild of book 3 and book 6 gutted, sprinkled with a few details of book 4 and given new organs by Alan Ball.  Next year I am not re-reading the book that I assume will be the basis of that season.  As a whole, the season was good.  Not as good as the other seasons, but that might be because I was mostly prepared for this one. 

There were many details changed.  Jessica was created and I was hoping the whole season that she and Hoyt would get back together.  Sam meets his real family.  Franklin and Tara are not at Club Dead aka Josephine's to meet up with Sookie, but then again, Josephine's became Lou Pine's.  There were no vamps there other than Russell.

In the finale, they tied up their created story line about Russell killing Eric's family.  Jessica and Hoyt got their own place and he wants to marry her.  Meanwhile, his mom, Maxine, is seen buying a rifle.  Sookie finds out about Bill being sent by Sophie-Ann to find out about her faerie-ness.  She rescends Bill's invitation with gusto.  At the very end, she leaves with Claudine.  Why?  I don't know.  Maybe she was sick of all the shit that was going on.  Understandable when your boyfriend betrays you and decides to kill everyone that had your blood since Faerie blood is vampire crack.  I was really pissed that he pushed Eric into the cement.  I'm glad it wasn't the same cement block as Russell, but that asshole is finally gone.  He was a good antagonist.  I can't stay that he wasn't.  He filled his evil quota.  That's how you knew he was going to die.  And when Sookie threw the remains of Talbot into the garbage desposal, I had to laugh. 

They completely messed with the Jason/Crystal storyline.  Granted, I hate Crystal, but where they left Jason wasn't even close to what happened in the book.  And Calvin should not have been a drug-making asshole.

It was nice to see Allan Hyde come back as Godric, being the voice of reason and representing the small amount of consicence that Eric still has.  He didn't kill Russell out of vengence like he orginally wanted to do.  But he also didn't forgive like Godric wanted him to.  Eric threw Russell in a pit and filled it in with cement.  Is being driven insane by loneliness and hunger worse that being killed?  Probably.  Maybe in a viking's mind it is true torture to not die in battle.  Perhaps that was his rationale. 

I'll watch the episode again soon and fill in any random detail I might have forgotten.

Love and Rockets
Lauren
of the Linecutters

No comments:

Post a Comment